Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Welcome to the Jungle

Welcome to the Jungle

Where I grew up, there were “back roads” that could have been thrill park rides for all we cared. Incidentally, we had a nickname for one of those roads. “Rollercoaster Run” was built by people obviously on acid and who needed a good laugh. Clearly, there was no thought process that went into the design of this approximately 5 miles of insanity. Granted, this road is the gateway to some of the prettiest countryside in our neighborhood. But driving on this road takes great skill. It’s not for the faint of heart or the weak-stomached. Blind hills, quick drops, and an S-curve that makes you question physics. All this on 2 skinny lanes of pavement.

However, if you’re a 17 year-old with a fast car, an itch for speed, and without a care in the world, it’s your own little piece of Heaven. Combine this with a great stereo system, the best CD that Guns’n’Roses ever made, and zero traffic on a late Friday night… You’re destined for happiness!

Listening to loud music while driving fast in my car was, and still is, one of my favorite things. I still do that!

Once every 6 or 7 months.

Now I am driving my car like I was a limo driver! (No offense to you limo drivers out there, it’s just that I was never that cautious. And may I just say what a wonderful service you provide!) I can’t tell you how many times I’ve waited minutes to pull out into traffic because I didn’t think I could make it, or because I didn’t want to “gun it that fast.” I find myself putting my foot on the brake a mile from the stop signs or red lights. I’ve started turning my Saturn into parking spots like I was steering an RV! Can you believe I actually BACK OUT when the space in front of me is empty!? Let me guess. You’re “one of those people” who goes ahead and pulls through the space in front of you and goes the wrong way anyway? Yeah, that’s what I figured. (It’s ok. I used to do that too.)

Oh, and the radio… Don’t get me started. In fact, I don’t even really want to talk about it. But I will say this: I can hear better now. (And I hate it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment