Recently, a high-upper in the military was accused of bad things and the critics were quick with their ridicule and usual comments about how terrible his offense was, etc. Radio shows were alive with callers from both sides arguing about whether or not it was even a legitimate charge against the guy and if there was any real merit to what he had done as being wrong or right in the first place.
Here's my argument: WHY THE PUCK should it even BE an argument? If some guy who is supposed to be a leader in a position of high rank even be given a second chance at all? I don't care if you're in the military or not, this guy did something wrong and acted like a teenager and made poor and unacceptable decisions. There should be no second chance or even a slap on the wrist in my opinion.
All these guys were calling into the radio show saying all this crap about how the host didn't know what he was talking about because he wasn't a soldier, he had no right to an opinion because he doesn't know what it's like to be part of this "brotherhood," yadda yadda yadda.
Bullshit.
What a lame fucking excuse for immature behavior. I have friends and family in the military and I would HOPE that they have nothing but the highest standards for themselves and their fellow members.
I'm NO fan of war, of taking other human lives for the sake of safety or any means. I think it's a cowardice thing to do because people can't use their intelligence to work things out in a calm and orderly way. Religion, greed, and politics seem to govern how people react to things these days and to me, that seems a little primitive in comparison to how the world is actually operating on a technological and more advanced way of thinking. If we're so fucking smart, then why are we resorting to these drastic measures to "work things out?"
So it seems to me that a military operation should be operating on the HIGHEST of standards, especially when considering their paychecks are determined on tax dollars created by the working class citizens they claim to be protecting.
So... if I'm one of those people, shouldn't I be the one to have the most say in this matter? Shouldn't WE THE PEOPLE be the ones who make up the jury to dictate this guy's fate?
I was brainwashed in school by people telling me that I should be saluting members of the military. I should stand and greet them with the highest honors and respect them because they're risking their lives for my freedoms and my safety. So, doesn't it make sense that I should
speak up and say "I refuse to salute someone who doesn't represent MY safety and freedoms with respect?"
Say what you want, military or not. But I refuse to salute anyone who can't take this job seriously, conduct themselves professionally, and present themselves in manner that demands my respect.
No comments:
Post a Comment