Wednesday, May 2, 2018

At the risk of being brutally honest... Being poor for me goes like this:



Being poor

As a child, I didn't know I was poor. There was always food in my mouth, clothes for me to go to school and play in, hot bath water, the tv was on, and I had toys. My mom was, as I recall at that time, happy and in love with her husband and 3 small children. I had loving grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. We had family get-togethers, presents at birthdays and Christmas, and always had fun outdoors. 

As a teen, I knew very well that we were in the lower bushel of the basket. Spring Vacation wasn't something we planned to spend away on a sunny beach or taking family group pictures with the Grand Canyon in the background. I wasn't able to get the same expensive perms as the other girls at school. Name brand clothing was something I thought only super rich people could afford, which meant I thought nearly everyone at my pathetic school was super rich. While other kids talked about the latest movies at the theater, I couldn't fit into their conversations because I wasn't able to afford to see them. The latest albums weren't in my budget, either, so my tapes were usually mixed tapes I made off the local radio station's "Top 9 at 9" list that I strategically recorded while hiding under the covers in the room I shared with my little brother. And usually I had to ask someone else to make me a tape of their favorite songs so they'd give it to me so I'd have a tape to use in the first place. I was too proud to just ask for a blank tape because they'd ask me why I couldn't get them myself. And when I was recording those songs, I had to make sure I got only the songs and not the commercials so I wouldn't use up the entire tape. Sharing a bedroom with your little brother when you're a teenage girl isn't exactly conducive to a "cool" lifestyle, but neither is having to do so because the only other bedroom in your house belongs to your mom, step-dad, and baby sister. Also, my "bedroom," wasn't even really a room at all, but more of an enclosed back porch with no heat, air conditioning, or closet. But it was enough to fit 2 twin beds, a dresser, a shelf, and my brother's toys. Oh, and my bedroom door was a sliding glass door that I covered with a sheet for privacy. Try asking even your closest friends for a sleepover... No really, ask them. Let me know how that turns out. 

The rest of the "house" was tiny, lending itself only to a small living room, dining room, kitchen, and bath/utility room where pretty much every water pipe ended up. Like I said, 2 small bedrooms with only 1 being a bedroom. Most of my mother’s clothes were left in garbage bags that lined the walls of her room, and only her nicest things and personal possessions were in her actual closet. Her bedroom and living room where the only ones that had carpet, the dining, kitchen, and bathroom all had dingy linoleum. My room had some cheap, thin outdoor carpeting that didn’t give our feet much cushion from the nails in the boards underneath it. My bedroom walls were comprised of a thin layer of drywall with either very little, or no insulation at all.

I don’t remember much about our furniture, but then again, there’s a lot about that tiny, old, pea soup-colored shack that I’d just assume forget.

I remember not having a shower, only a tub, and sometimes having to share bath water with other members of the family because we didn’t have enough hot water for us all to bathe in one day/night. So we had to be quick as not to leave the next person with cold water in the tub we just bathed in. We typically had to share towels as well because it cost too much to wash that many clothes and use more water. And since this room was the only bathroom in the house, it wasn’t uncommon for us to have to use the toilet while one of us was taking a bath. (Usually my poor mom who probably just needed some peace for a few minutes, sacrificing her moment so we could pee.) But this also meant us not having peace either since she’d have to be in there doing laundry.

The room just off the bath/utility was the “garage,” though it never housed any cars. It was more like a shed, but had a door that led into the bathroom. It had a window and it always scared me to look out there. It was filled with “junk” my step-dad brought home from the salvage yard where he worked. Old tools, rusty metal things here and there, old tires, car parts, garbage bags filled with aluminum cans, and more junk. There was 1 lightbulb that lit up in the center of the room, which only made it creepier. I still have nightmares about that place.

We had, to my recollection, only 1 or 2 heat vents in the house and no central air conditioning. During the winter months, we shivered under the covers as the kerosene heater blazed throughout the night, centered between the dining room and living room. (This was the center-most part of the house, so this made it “fair” to everyone. Keep in mind, this meant having to keep the bathroom door closed so the heat would remain in the living and bedrooms, so if you got up in the morning to pee or take a bath, you were basically walking into a freezer.) And because of my sliding glass bedroom door, my brother and I were always left very cold and he’d usually end up sleeping with my mom, sis, and step-dad in their bed. Summers were just as brutal as the 1 window a/c unit blasted only when it was absolutely necessary, with a box fan circulating as best it could.

Our kitchen was about the size of a closet, but it was enough for my mom to prepare our meals, do the dishes by hand because we had no dishwasher, and look outside to see us playing in the backyard.

Looking back, I’m not sure where my mother found her sanctuary there, if she did. Her bedroom, as I said, was extremely small, and was shared with my baby sister, whose crib was nestled in the corner. A full-sized bed, a dresser, and small closet was about all one could fit in that room, so space and privacy wasn’t something I believe ever existed to my poor mother in those years.

The things we did have in the little shack weren’t the nicest things, but we did our best to take care of them. Because we had to. We didn’t have the luxury of just going out and buying something new if what we had broke or got too old. In fact, if something had to be purchased, it became a big stress point for the whole house. If my step-dad couldn’t find it at the scrap yard or if someone wasn’t tossing it on the curb, we went without for a while.

Most of the necessities, especially our clothes and shoes, were purchased by relatives, usually my great-grandmother, or others at birthdays and Christmas. When I turned 15, I was able to finally buy my own things after getting my own paychecks from working at a nearby Rally’s fast food drive-thru restaurant. I wasn’t able to work much because laws and school prohibited it, but I made enough to start supplying myself with the things I both needed and wanted as a teen girl. I remember buying my first pair of Levi jeans all by myself, and thinking how amazing it felt to finally have something I wanted without having to wait to ask my family or wait until my birthday. And after that, the shoes I wanted. And after that, I began seeing movies in the theater with my friends. And after that, I began going to high school football games and spending my own money on food and renting VHS tapes at the movie store. Suddenly I was fitting in with other kids and was understanding what everyone was talking about and realizing what I had been missing. I remember buying makeup and fixing my hair the way other girls did and thinking I’d finally be accepted into more social circles. Maybe now, those super rich kids would stop making fun of me. Maybe now I’d have the life I really wanted.

It was around those early teen years that my parents decided it was time to either move, or keep their land and just bull-doze the shack and build a house. But building a new house proved to cost too much. So instead, they opted to purchase a modular home and have it placed over the remains of what once was our old shack. Even though my step-dad had pretty much ruined the natural beauty of the 1.5 acre lot with his “collection of crap” as now call it, the modular home they chose was actually quite nice and brought a completely new and reasonably attractive look to our yard. It took some time, but once it was completed, I wasn’t too ashamed to have friends over anymore. It was new, we all had our own rooms, it was very spacious inside, and for the first time in my life, I had real sleep-overs. Since I was 5, I had been sharing a room with my brother…and now I had my very own room! I could decorate, I could hang my clothes in a walk-in closet, and I could take a shower in my own bathroom! When you walk in the front door, you entered a “front living area,” and straight ahead was the dining room with sliding glass doors that led out the back. To the right of the dining room was a nice, open kitchen with tons of cabinet space, an island, and a dishwasher! To the right of that was a nook where my mom could sit and write letters, and just beyond that, an entire room dedicated just to the washer and dryer! To the right of the front living area was a beautiful and spacious master bedroom with a master bathroom to die for! A walk-in shower, 2 sinks in separate areas, and in the corner was the biggest bathtub with jets I had ever seen! To the left of the dining room was a den area with a fireplace, and to the right of that were the other 3 bedrooms just for us kids! Mine was the biggest with biggest closet, of course…and I definitely wanted that room because it overlooked the driveway and road. (I like to face the sunrise, so this worked out perfectly for me.)

I remember us kids running around constantly for the first few days, just running through the house like we were in a mall. It felt so big to us. And we were so happy. It was truly one of the best moments I remember during those times. We didn’t have to move away from our neighbors and best friends down the street, and we finally had a nice place to live…with heat and air conditioning!

But the joy didn’t last long. Riding on a bus in the country isn’t always easy when you’re poor. Everyone knows where you live, sees the outside of your home, sees the beat-up cars in the gravel driveway, and also sees the “collection of crap” that remains. Everyone knows you’re not suddenly “super rich.” In fact, they know it so much that they feel you need to be reminded. Even though I knew it wasn’t a big 2-story brick home with white shutters and a wrap-around porch with a 2-car garage and paved driveway, I still felt proud to live there. But that pride went away the moment one of the older kids on my bus said, “So now you live in a trailer?”

A trailer. It was as embarrassing to a teenager as living in the projects. It was the country equivalent to living in subsidized housing in the city. And now, rather than feeling proud of my new home with my nice, new walls and carpet and dishwasher and bedroom, I was again, reduced to being called “trailer trash.”

But I quickly rebounded when my very close friends agreed to sleepovers at my new house and we had some pretty awesome times there. I began dating and wasn’t ashamed of where I lived. I knew it wasn’t going to grace the covers of any Home & Gardens magazine, but we took care of it and my mom began planting some beautiful flowers, trees, and bushes that made for some pretty great landscaping. And even though the walls were paper thin and the gap under the doors was big enough to squeeze a loaf of bread through, it felt like home to me. It felt like the first home I had since we moved from our apartment when I was 8 and into that rickety old shack we had just torn down. And it remained my home until my step-dad kicked me out when I was 16. From there, I would bounce from friends’ and relatives’ homes until I was finally able to take care of myself at 22. Now, 25 years later, it is still home to my mother, where she lives alone, keeping up her garden, watching her grandchildren run around those same floors, and finally having the peace she so desperately needed.

25 years…seems like a long time, doesn’t it? You’d think after 25 years, I would have forgotten what it was like to be poor. I would have forgotten that I ever watched as my mother refused to eat dinner so she could make sure us kids had enough to eat. You’d think I wouldn’t have noticed when she washed the dishes using only cold water because either the water heater was broken, or maybe she just didn’t want to make the electric bill go up. You’d think I wasn’t paying attention when I’d see my great-grandmother reaching into her wallet to hand my mom a stack of cash to hide in her dresser to pay the bills my step-dad wasn’t able to pay. You’d think maybe, just maybe, I wasn’t listening to her cry in her room at night because she was scared the water guy was coming to turn it off the next day. You would think a kid like me wouldn’t pay attention to the amount of times she’d wash her shoes in the washing machine with baking soda to remove the grass stains so she could wear them to the store and not be ashamed. Or the times she stayed up half the night watching old re-runs of shows she grew up watching just so she could find something to laugh about. Or the time she tried studying for her G.E.D. so she could feel smart enough to get a job to help make ends meet. Or the jar of change she’d dump out, looking for quarters to give us for lunch money. You’d think after 25 years I wouldn’t know what that’s like.

But you’d be so wrong.

25 years later, I’m a poor mom. I have a 10 year old beautiful daughter, I work full-time for, what I thought was, a big and wonderful corporation, I have a decent car, I rent a 3 bedroom house with a garage in an ok neighborhood 1 mile from her school, I have a cat, I pay my own bills, we have food in the cabinets and refrigerator…Yet, I can’t help but wonder if in 25 years she will see that things just aren’t the way a little kid sees them.

To my daughter, she sees that she has toys, video games, I make dinner every night, she has clothes to wear, hot water to bathe, blankets to keep her warm, the tv turns on, we have a decent car, and she has a cat.

But what she doesn’t know is that I’m on the edge of being homeless. I don’t have outstanding credit card debt, I don’t waste my money on things we don’t need, and I don’t go on any trips or vacations or eat out. I don’t purchase expensive clothes, I don’t buy jewelry. In fact, I don’t buy anything other than exactly what we NEED. But the cost of living versus what I make, has gotten completely absurd and to a point where I honestly don’t know what I am going to do anymore. I’m alone and living paycheck to paycheck, which has become impossible to do.

When I agreed to rent this house, I did so with the intention it would be a “family” home. I didn’t know if that would ever pan out, so I needed to be conscientious of the fact that I would have to be able to afford the rent and bills on my own. I needed a solid house in a decent neighborhood close to her school, with a yard for her to play and be safe. This house has a privacy-fenced in backyard where we used to have a swingset. I wanted to turn the backyard into an oasis of plants, a firepit, a hammock, and games. I wanted the back porch to be an area like my great-grandmother’s where everyone would come and I’d entertain our friends and my daughter’s friends. There’s a park down the road and I figured it would be a place we’d ride our bikes to on the weekends to play baseball, swing, and maybe picnic. The owners of the house are religious and have 5 kids of their own, so this house was filled with family love before I began those dreams myself. At the time, I was working full-time at a cigar lounge, where although my hourly wages wouldn’t alone pay for it, my tips made up the difference. And with the help of friends, little by little, I acquired household items and was able to start making a life for us here. It has become “home” to she and I and we love it. But I’ve never felt like this was a real home, mostly because we’re in Florida and because I know rentals are only temporary. Nevertheless, it’s been a safe haven and it’s kept us off the streets. All my daughter knows is that she has a lovely little home where she feels protected and loved and is surrounded by her stuffed animals and we make some pretty amazing meals here.

What she doesn’t see… is that when we are at a gas station or restaurant, I grab handfuls of napkins and plastic utensils and stuff them into my purse. The napkins I use in my bathroom as toilet paper so I spare the regular toilet paper for her bathroom, which saves me money on buying more. The plastic utensils I use when she’s with her dad so I don’t have to use water or dish soap.

She doesn’t see me make one pot of coffee to use for the entire week. She doesn’t see me using baking soda instead of toothpaste. She doesn’t see me having to break into her piggy banks to pray for a couple of dollar bills or quarters to use as gas money. She doesn’t see me hanging the wet clothes over the backs of the dining room chairs and couch because the dryer has been broken since last summer. She doesn’t see me skipping breakfast and dinner when she isn’t here so I can be sure the food lasts for the next time she is here. She doesn’t notice I’ve lost 15 pounds in the last couple of months because I can’t afford to eat. She doesn’t see that I haven’t been to the doctor in over 8 months because I can’t afford to miss work for doctor visits I can’t afford, even though I have amazing insurance and the co-pay is only $20. She doesn’t know that there are days when I can’t get out of bed because I’m in so much pain that I can barely move, so I miss work and now I’m at risk for being fired for missing so many days. She doesn’t know that I buy the cheapest shampoo and soaps. She doesn’t know why I only shop at the cheapest grocery store. She doesn’t know that I re-use the same plastic Solo cup every day for weeks at a time so save on dish soap and using the hot water. She doesn’t know that I had to use the cash people gave me for her Girl Scout cookie sales to pay the electric bill and now I don’t have that money to give the troop leader. She doesn’t know that I had to take out cash advances to pay the rent. She doesn’t know that many of my recent clothes have been free from the thrift shop where I volunteer. She doesn’t know that I only have 2 pairs of jeans that fit and the shoes I wear to work hurt my feet. She doesn’t know that I’ve sometimes had to use sand I dug up from the side of the yard to use as cat litter and that I’ve had to sometimes feed him my own food because I couldn’t afford litter or food for him. She doesn’t know that I’ve had to wash her blankets because the cat puked on them from eating the human food I had to give him. She doesn’t know that I have to lie to all my friends when they ask if I can meet them for a movie, lunch, dinner, drinks, or any social function because I can’t afford to go or use the gas to get there. She doesn’t know that license was temporarily suspended because of my medical condition and that I risked everything to drive her to her dance competition in Orlando one weekend. She doesn’t know how badly my lip was bleeding from biting it because I was so terrified I’d get pulled over, get into an accident, or get a flat tire on that drive to and from her competition. She doesn’t know that I went to jail for drinking and driving last year and that I have a serious problem with alcohol. She doesn’t know that when I have to leave her at home alone for 2 hours for my “doctor appointment” every Saturday morning, that it is really court-ordered counseling that costs me $150 a month. She doesn’t know that when she isn’t here, I am alone every single night wondering how I’m going to afford to keep my car, my car insurance, and my license, all because I had too much to drink while taking my seizure medication that night. She doesn’t see or hear me crying in my bedroom. She doesn’t see me in pain every time she wants to go see the latest movie and I can’t afford to take her. She doesn’t see me making up excuses in my head as to why we can’t go out to dinner once in a while, or just stop for an ice cream cone. She doesn’t hear me pecking away at the laptop every night Googling ways to make extra money when you have none to start with. She doesn’t see me shying away from lunch invites from friends at work, telling them, “Oh, I have to run to the bank or I have an appointment,” when in reality I simply don’t have any food so I just drive down the street and park so no one notices. She doesn’t know how badly I wanted to be present for my grandmother’s funeral, but couldn’t because I couldn’t afford a ticket or the time off work. She doesn’t know the only reason my hair is so long is because I can’t afford to get it cut, so I just trim the ends myself sometimes. She doesn’t know the reason I stopped going to the gym wasn’t because of my MS, but it was because I couldn’t afford the membership any longer. She doesn’t know that the time I tried to ask a friend of a friend to help me print and promote my paintings, he asked me for sex as payment, so I turned him down, ruining my chances at having someone I know give me a discount on printing my work to sell to try to make extra money. She doesn’t realize the real reason I cut the crust off the bread isn’t because I thought she’d like it better that way, but its really so I could use the extra parts to make an apple dish that would last her a few breakfasts. She doesn’t ask why we eat so much pasta or soup. She doesn’t wonder why we don’t go anywhere on the weekends when everyone else is out enjoying the beautiful weather. She doesn’t wonder why I use paper towels from work as pads instead of buying tampons. She doesn’t know I hoard all the expired food when the vendor comes each month to throw it out at work. She doesn’t know I use company envelopes to mail in my fine and probation payments every month. She doesn’t know I pushed the utility bills out another month so I could buy her Christmas presents. She doesn’t know I still only sleep on one side of the bed because it hurts too much to think of the other side as being empty. She doesn’t know how much my heart aches to be loved by a man who loves everything about me, gets me, understands my past, and who will want to be a partner and supporter to me. She doesn’t realize how much I hate living here and how I don’t fit in. She doesn’t know how much happier I’d be somewhere else, with people I know and love and in an area where I can live in the country and nature. She doesn’t know how much I miss hiking and camping and exploring. She doesn’t know that I am too scared to do those things alone because of the horrible creepy people out there in the world these days. She doesn’t know that I have given up so many of my own dreams to ensure hers are met. She doesn’t know that I’ve taken over 1 million pictures of her growing up because I want to remember every moment with her. She doesn’t know that I can’t afford to print them out so she’ll have those tangible memories as well. She doesn’t know how scared I am of my illness and how I’m absolutely terrified that I won’t live to see her grow old or remember who I am. She doesn’t know that I only make just over 2 thousand dollars per month and that every single penny goes to rent, car payment, car insurance, gas, electricity, water, phone, internet, lawn care, groceries, and paying off my DUI. She doesn’t know that her father, too, is an alcoholic who had a horrible DUI a few years ago and that he refuses to seek treatment. She doesn’t know that she carries the gene for alcoholism. She doesn’t know that she may struggle with depression or anxiety like her parents. She doesn’t know that I am trying very hard to get through each day and that it’s difficult at times. She doesn’t know that I am doing everything I can to fight this and that I will be victorious. She doesn’t know my father left when I was a baby and never returned. She doesn’t know I was beaten by my step-father. She doesn’t know I was raped by a guy I dated. She doesn’t know I was sexually, physically, and verbally abused by other men I knew. She doesn’t know that I cry every single night from the guilt I carry from my boyfriend’s suicide over 20 years ago and that she saw and spoke to his ghost when she was little. She doesn’t know that I just need sanctuary. She doesn’t know that I just need a break. She doesn’t know that I just need help. She doesn’t know that I’m scared. She doesn’t know that I am poor.

One day, I know she will know all of this. But I don’t ever want her to see any of it.

-Angie Hart





No comments:

Post a Comment